Mold growth can mean a lot more than a stain on the wall or an unpleasant smell. Mold, if not properly removed by a certified, well-trained professional, can spread and create extensive damage within the structures of our home or business, and even create health problems.
If you think there might be mold growth somewhere in your home, there are four warning signs you can look for which will tell you when it’s time to call in the pros at Pioneer Restoration.
Spring and summer are prime allergy season in Oregon. However, if you’ve never suffered from allergy symptoms before, or someone else in your home is suffering from unusual allergy symptoms, those could be signs of mold growth.
Mold can actually change the air quality inside your home. In the 1980’s, the World Health Organization adopted the term “Sick Building Syndrome.” At the time, it was believed people grew ill because of indoor air quality issues in water-damaged buildings. It wasn’t until the 1990’s that a mold expert told the World Health Organization those illnesses were more likely the result of toxic mold in a structure.
Jump ahead to today, and doctors actually have a name for that illness – Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, or CIRS. People suffering from CIRS are genetically predisposed to be sensitive to mold. That means four people in your home could feel completely fine while a fifth person is very ill from hidden mold growth.
Have you ever walked into a vacant home or building and were instantly hit by the smell of mildew and dust? Similar smells like that in your home or office could be another indication of mold growth. In fact, a moldy smell can be one of the very best signs of mold growing in places you cannot see.
Sure, a full black wall in the basement is a pretty good sign you have a mold issue. However, it can be easy to overlook much smaller signs of mold growth. For example, a small, discolored spot on a wood beam or basement wall could just look like dirt or soot. The unfortunate truth is a small spot like this can quickly spread mold spores throughout the space through the air and duct systems. That’s why it is very important that if you see even the smallest sign of mold, you should call in a professional to check it out immediately. The sooner you have it checked out, the sooner you get the all clear or the sooner you can get it properly removed before it causes health problems and spreads.
If you’ve recently had a water leak somewhere, be aware mold growth could cause secondary damage. Mold growth from leaks can often be hidden behind a wall or any place into which the water seeped. Similarly, if you have ever had a flood in your property and the space was not properly and completely dried, mold spores can grow within the walls.
Do you suspect you have hidden mold growth or have a suspicious-looking spot on a wall? Have a professional come out and take a look and do a test. The sooner you make the call, the sooner life gets back to normal.